Practice Nurse Services
Our nurses able to offer you the following services:
- Anticoagulation / Warfarin Monitoring
- Blood pressure checks- 24 hr monitoring and use of telemetry
- Cervical Smear by appointment
- Chronic health checks ( Asthma, Heart disease, Diabetes) by appointment
- Ear Syringing
- Well Woman/ Man checks
- Smoking Cessation. Please see below.
- Weight loss/ diet advice
- Wound Care
- Minor injuries for registered patients (cuts and grazes)
- Minor surgery including injection therapy
Please see come into an open access surgery or book an appointment to see the doctor to discuss this. We will ask you to book an appropriate appointment with the appropriate doctor if we feel you are suitable.
6-8 week baby checks are performed with the Doctor and include your babies first immunisations. You may wish to have your maternal postnatal examination before or after this check. All other childhood immunisations are by appointment with the practice nurse.
Contraceptive and Sexual Health Service
We are able to offer confidential advice on a full range of contraceptive options. All Doctors and Sister Darkings are able to discuss barrier, oral and injectable contraceptives. For the contraceptive implant and coils speak to a member of our reception team who will arrange this for you. We also offer investigation and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. For information on local Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) services please see the NHS Choices Website.
We offer a one to one counselling service using all types of Nicotine Replacement Therapy and champix for a minimum of 3 appointments. This is based on evidence of success. Please book an appointment with Sister Darkings or Sister Towell. For other NHS services please see NHS Choices Website.
Non- NHS Services
These services are not within the NHS contract and therefore attract a charge:
- Medicals for employment, sports and driving
- Insurance Claim forms
- Passport signing
- Prescriptions/ letters for taking medications abroad
- Private sick notes
- Vaccination Certificates.
Please contact our reception staff to discuss arranging these services and our charge.
Please note that we no longer offer travel consultations here at the practice. Please visit www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/ for more information.
You will need to contact a private travel clinic or pharmacy offering travel services at least 8 weeks before you travel, as some vaccines need to be given well in advance to allow your body to develop immunity. Some vaccines also involve a number of doses spread over several weeks or months.
You may be more at risk of some diseases, if you are, for example:
- travelling in rural areas
- staying in hostels or camping
- on a long trip rather than a package holiday
Other community services
- Counselling - please see the doctor so we can arrange to refer you to our local service.
- Midwifes - please contact the surgery for details.
- Physiotherapy- Patients are able to self-refer to this service. Please see our self-help section for further information.
- Chiropody - please see the doctor to discuss a referral.
- Health Visitors - please contact the Friary Community Hospital on 01609 780780 for further information.
Dementia Advice Clinic
- Do you or a loved one have dementia?
- Are you worried about your memory?
- Would you like to know more about dementia or the support available?
A Dementia Advice Clinic is provided at Doctors Lane Surgery at a day and time to suit you - as a member of the team to arrange this for you. At the appointment, you can spend time with a specialist Dementia Advisor who can offer support to people living with dementia, their families and carers. The advisor can also help you to find out about other services and information that is available. Telephone appointments are also available upon request.